Friday, January 1, 2010

The Tiffany bookmark.

I came across this gift enclosure in the most roundabout of ways.

Two weeks ago Dave received a Facebook friend request from one of his college roommates. After not thinking of Tim for more than 20 years, perhaps a month ago Dave and I were reminiscing about the double date we'd had with Tim and his girlfriend-now-wife sailing in San Diego's Mission Bay.

And then this week Tim arrives on our doorstep, bag in hand, to stay with us while his 16-year-old played in a local basketball tournament. It was great to catch up with him. This led me to pull out my scrapbooks, in search of those sailing pictures.

I didn't find them. But I did find this note from Hillary's parents that accompanied a Tiffany bookmark they gave me as a graduation gift. They have no idea how much I've used that bookmark over the years, how much it's helped me sate my obsessive love of language. In fact, it's in the book I am reading now, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I thought it such a classy gift at the time and still do. Sharon and Lou -- many thanks again. You have no idea how much your gift touched me, and continues to.

No comments: