Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

I spent this morning seeing Disney's Earth movie with Eldest Daughter's class.

Chaperoning on a 5th grade field trip is very different than chaperoning on a 1st grade field trip. The 5th grader just wants the parent to be quiet and drive. In a nutshell, be invisible. The 1st graders hold your hand and have you participate right along side them. It's a good thing I still have some 1st graders.

The movie was visually spectacular. It reused the BBC's Planet Earth content, which was five years in the making and took 70 photographers to 62 countries.

The message is simple: respect the fragile ecosystems of this vast world we merely share in.

The film, which James Earl Jones narrates with a decent amount of humor, document dozens of wild animal species including exotic birds, monkeys, whales, and cats. The poignant tale of a struggling polar bear family plays exceptionally well on the big screen, right from the opening shots of the incredibly adorable cubs slip-sliding along a steep arctic slope. I was quite impressed by a great white shark leaping high above the water to snag a seal and the aerial footage of a massive caribou migration with hungry wolves in hot pursuit.

It was another magical cinema experience.

3 comments:

Kathy B! said...

Happy Earth Day!

I can't wait to see this movie. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it.

Polka Dot Moon said...

I can't wait to see this movie! Chris and I've been talking about it and taking Jackson too.

I'm not sure how I feel about seeing a great white breach out of the water though.........JAWS ruined my life ;)

Nortorious said...

Oh! I totally want to see this! Thanks for the review. Please tell me there isn't a ton of environmental green guilt as a subplot.