Saturday, May 15, 2010

Don't bother with your VISA card for Chanel purchases at Neiman's

I'm not much of a Neiman's gal. The shoe salon is too tempting. (Hello Jimmy Choo, Manolo Blahnik and Christian Louboutin!) Every now and then I have a quick lunch at the cafe, which is very close to Britex Fabrics, one of my favorite stores. But mostly I walk past it.

However, many moons ago Kymi told me about Rocky, the guy at the Chanel makeup counter. Apparently Rocky is the master at picking lipstick.

So this week, while I was in the city for a conference, I dashed across Union Square to Neiman's and sought out Rocky. He did not disappoint.

I challenged Rocky to find me the perfect red. I think red lipstick is so elegant but I don't have the nerve to wear red red. After a long and somewhat complex process which I won't go into because it was quite fun and I'd encourage you to have a go at it, Rocky and I found the ideal classic red shade for me.

However, when I pulled out my VISA to pay for it, Rocky nicely let me know that my options were AMEX or Neiman's cards, or cash. Hmmm. Fortunately I had enough cash in my wallet to cover it.

We'll see how long it takes me to get up the nerve to wear this gorgeous red out of the house!

1 comment:

Sara said...

I share your desire to wear the perfect red lipstick! For 2 years, 3 months & 3 weeks I wore nothing but neutral/pale shades so as not to attract attention to my mouth. The day I got my braces off I went to Nordstrom and had my own adventure in red lipstick shopping. The perfect shade for me is Bobbi Brown's Rouge a levres (Red #10). I've gotten up the nerve to wear it out of the house only a couple of times, but it makes me feel like a movie star when I do. Now about Neiman's not taking Visa, I had that halting experience a couple of years ago when I went to buy a bottle of Jo Malone perfume. Had to make a return trip with cash - very inconvenient. Unfortunately, they're the only ones who sell Jo Malone in Austin. Anyway, hope you love wearing you red lipstick!