Thursday, January 22, 2009

Through the eyes of a child: my child.

Eldest Daughter told me yesterday that she wasn't sure she wanted to have children because they seemed like a lot of work. I'm fine with that; I wasn't one of those women who looked forward to motherhood since my own childhood. Sure, I met Mr. Right and we decided to have a family but the destination wasn't clear cut.

I explained to her that the rewards of having children far outweigh the amount of work that they are to raise. I told her that having your own child look into your eyes and knowing you are its whole world is mind-blowing. I told her that some of the things that come out of her and her sisters mouths make us laugh until we cry and nearly pee in our pants. I told her that I take pride in their accomplishments: that skiing with her is a huge thrill for me and that my heart burst with pride when she was dancing on stage, so obvious was the joy of her doing so. I told her that discovering the world through a child's eyes is a huge gift, one she may decide to do one day. And if she takes a hall pass, that's okay too.

Last year I took Eldest Daughter to New York to see Grease on Broadway. We'd had a wager over who would win the reality TV show and her pick won her a quick turn to New York. This was a significant trip for us to take together because we did exactly what she wanted. I bought the New York City for Kids book and we went to the places she wanted to see: the Circle Line Ferry ride to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, FAO Schwartz, Dylan's Candy Bar, the ferris wheel inside Toys R Us, Bloomingdale's, the top of the Empire State Building (pictured here). As many times as I've been to New York, some of these things I had not done. What a thrill to do them with her!

This presidential election was significant for many more reasons that I will recount here. In our house, it's significant because Eldest Daughter, a a few weeks shy of 11, will remember it. She understands that change is coming, and that this is an awesome time to be an American, and to be part of history.

As her mother, I'm excited to share that with her. No, make that elated.

1 comment:

Celia Fae said...

How come there are no comments on this terrific and meaningful post? I love the dialogue between you and Eldest Daughter and the results of a one on one trip. I will be thinking about this all day.

I never wanted to have kids either. They seemed like a pain in the butt. They are, but a good pain.