Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Squaw Cup!

We were up at Tahoe over the Martin Luther King Day Weekend. This is no surprise to those of you who know and love us. Although it's January, the weather has been warm with no snow for two weeks. It's Spring ski conditions.

Thing 2 had her first race, ever and of the season. Seeing the as-young-as-five-year-olds whip in and out of the gates on the Coin Op is so freaking cute I could hardly stand it. I stood on the side of the course (along with many other parents) and cheered for every single bugger that whizzed by. Thing 2 won her heat but did not finish fast enough to get a medal. Still, we're very proud of her. And she had a blast, which is what it's all about.

Eldest Daughter chose not to ski with her team this weekend but did instead with me and Dave. Confession: I got taken down a notch. She is goooood! Our goal for her this season was to have her skills ratchet up a few notches and for her to know the mountain. She's there. She now skis the same runs I do, with as much confidence although not as much finesse. Her legs are clearly stronger than mine because, on our last run of the day, the Mountain Run, she didn't stop for the whole 2.3 mile trail. My legs were shaking and I thought about stopping to rest. But then I ignored my instincts, trying to keep her in sight, and did a faceplant with spread eagle. Lesson learned: listen to that little voice.

We tried a new restaurant one night: Burger Me in Truckee. The food was good, grassfed beef burgers, handcut fries etc. but not mind-blowing. It was good for Tahoe; how's that for qualification?!

Another night we had our neighbors for dinner. Eldest Daughter and their eldest daughter created an online Tahoe trivia quiz for us. We're struggling with it here. The younger kids were running wild up and down the halls at this time, disturbing the non-owners I'm sure.

My parents are supposed to take the kids up next weekend although I'm not sure this will happen as it will likely storm. We need the snow so it'll be fine whichever way it turns out.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Tell Thing 2 congrats on her race!

Paris said...

I ski harder runs than you.