Thursday, October 6, 2011

Suite! My Fairytale!

I'm just back from a business trip to LA. Disneyland to be specific. Even more specifically: a technobabble convention at the Disneyland Hotel. I didn't have time to get into the parks, which was fine since it was pouring rain.

The whole Disney experience is odd when you have kids but they're not with you. Apparently we've stayed on property so many times that we're VIPs. I learned this when I checked in and was upgraded to the Fairytale Suite. If going to Disney without the kids didn't make me feel bad enough, the over-the-top suite did.

Here are the highlights:
  • Animatronic art on the walls: dancing prince and princess, The Beast, etc.
  • When You Wish Upon a Star playing in the foyer whenever the door to the hallway is opened or shut
  • Decor in soothing taupe, cream and light blue
  • A sumptuous four poster bed with tasseled silk draperies
  • Silk carpets
  • A silk chaise lounge
  • An 11th floor corner room with a straight-on view of Downtown Disney and both theme parks
  • Mosaics on the floors and walls that rival those of The Vatican
  • Live orchids
  • New fluffy white towels, tags still attached
  • A TV located behind the large bathroom mirror so the image comes through the mirror. I watched the Today Show while putting on my makeup.
  • A remote controlled TV that emerges from the dresser in front of the bed. There are nine cartoon channels but no Food TV, OWN, E! or Bravo.
  • A Keurig single-cup coffee / tea machine with a dozen flavor options. This was useful as I got up five times during the night to watch the Disney magic still going on in Downtown Disney and the lights on the rides during the wee hours of the morning.
  • Remote controlled draperies and lights throughout the suite. Eh. I like the drapes open when I travel. It reminds me that I'm not in Kansas any more.
  • Under counter flashing (um flickering?) lights in the bathroom vanity, activated by remote. I had to look under the counters to see how they pulled this off. It's less sophisticated than you'd think.
  • Remote controlled ceiling stars.
Truly it was a kick but I would have enjoyed it more with Dave and The Pinks.

The business trip itself was worthwhile. I talked to industry pundits and customers about our particular breed of technology, bonded with my co workers and contributed to California's economy. I even got to experience two new things: driving a minivan (quick errand to Target with my colleague's car) and flying in and out of the Long Beach Airport.

3 comments:

Paige said...

this is hilarious and awesome! I had no idea this exists but so glad you exist to find out for me. Crazy it's the one time you were there without the girls.

I'm so happy you are liking your job. I was worried for you about all the work and the commute but happy to read your post about how your office is in a great place and you are happy with it. Also, I saw you on a walk today with another friend and her dog along Blackhawk Rd. (friend jealousy!) and I was happy you weren't too busy to get in a working hours walk!

Neeracha T. said...

Wow, that looks awesome, I had read about the suites online, now I actually know someone who's stayed in one.

Anonymous said...

Tell me is it as big and as nice as it looks I'm staying ther in January 2012 and it cost a lot please let me no if it's as nice as it looks thanks