Friday, March 12, 2010

The Wall

I've been looking at The Wall for eight years now. It is curved and runs along the set of stairs that connect the first and second floors of our home. It's been bare all these years. As time passes, it bothers me more and more.

I've created 35 quilts. I've designed dozens more in my head. The years-of-mothering-babies-and-toddlers-and-preschoolers don't allow for quilting. It's both the time and the danger factor associated with leaving a sewing machine, iron and a rotary cutter within reach of curious hands.

Finally I've begun sewing the triptych quilts that will hang on The Wall. Triptych because in the end there will be a quilt for each daughter. It's a big project -- 72 blocks. But every day I do a little sewing and it's both my meditation and guarantee that someday the quilts will hang and The Wall will cease its nudity.

2 comments:

Tristan said...

You've got mad quilting skills! Please post photos of the awesome quilts!!

Paige said...

WOW. I can't wait to see it. Only thing I do while watching TV is fold endless laundry.