Thursday, February 19, 2009

We (heart) cupcakes! Doesn't everyone?!

Sprinkles is a cupcake experience. We went to the only Northern California outpost, which is at the Stanford Shopping Center, near Neeracha's house. Cupcakes are made from Madagascar Bourbon vanilla, Belgian chocolate, real fruit and the like. The sprinkles come from France. They are made throughout the day, sort of like donuts, and they taste as good as they look. As a professional marketer, I do have to comment that the branding is just adorable. They achieved a high-end look of elegant sophistication, which is good since a cupcake will set you back $3.25 USD. As Neeracha predicted, the line was out the door when we arrived. Fortunately it moved quickly.

They come in many flavors and a different subset is made each day. On that day we were unimaginative and had all chocolate derivatives: chocolate coconut, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate. Next time Neeracha and I will leave the kids at home and go for the lemon ginger, strawberry and peanut butter chip. (We can justify three or four cupcakes with two people.)

Now that I think about it, Neeracha et al got Eldest Daughter Sprinkles Cupcake Mix and the SF Chronicle Cupcake Cookbook for her birthday a few years back. I'm happy to report that we've tried about half the recipes in the book, with much success, and that I've convinced Eldest Daughter that it's really my book, not hers.

5 comments:

Polka Dot Moon said...

I'm drooling! We have a Sprinkles not too far from here. I've managed to drive by and look at the long lines, but now I'm going to have to make a stop!

Cupcakes are my weakness...........

Kathy B! said...

YUM! I gues I need to eat some lunch because those sound so good I'd crawl through the computer screen if I thought it would get me one!

Unknown said...

Those look yummy, I will have to get over there some time! -Shanta

thomsinger said...

Ha, we have a trendy gourmet cupcake place in Austin that makes wonderful cakes too, but they sell them out of an old Airstream trailer on the side of the road. It is called "Hey, Cupcake". Just another weird Austin business that has taken off.

Neeracha T. said...

My only complaint about Sprinkles is that they don't make mini cupcakes like Kara's and Sibby's. Mini food is so much cuter!