Thursday, December 18, 2008

I scream, you scream

Each June I am overcome with an urge to make fresh peach ice cream. It's an annual event, one signified by the arrival of perfectly ripe, fragrant peaches in the farmer's market.

We are a family of ice cream lovers. Since childhood my family has consumed more than its fair share of the summertime staple. My father had Foremost McKesson Dairies as a customer way back when there was such a thing.

Even people who marry into our family adore ice cream. For the bridal shower I threw for my future sister-in-law, we hand painted ice cream bowls and played "match the name of the Ben & Jerry's ice cream to the flavor." She won. My brother selected his bride very carefully. We've given ice cream makers as wedding gifts more times than I can count.

Eldest Daughter would have nothing to do with one of my favorite uncles, Syd, until he offered her a taste of his chocolate ice cream in the middle of her second year. This is especially funny as she had every reason to adore him from the get go: he was CEO of the toy company Hearthsong at the time!

My SIL, that fabulous gal that my brother married, outdid herself this week. For Hanukkah, my brother's family gave The Pinks the Cuisinart Soft Serve ice cream maker. In pink of course. I would never have thought to give children this as a gift but let me tell you, they went wild. I went wild. And, as you'll recall, I have a thing for appliances. It has three dispensers for toppings and we can't wait to mix and match, in search of the perfect combinations.

5 comments:

Kim said...

We are SO on the way over. Right now!

Polka Dot Moon said...

Can I have Ice Cream for breakfast?!!

Kelly said...

That just looks fun!

Paige said...

That thing is gorgeous. I take it you figured out how to steal pics off of google images? I never answered your question about that. I get them all from google images, and right click to save to my computer.

Ron Hutzul said...

That's AMAZING!! So I'm going to suggest you find a bottle of Broguier's Egg Nog while you're in LA, (they're a local dairy we buy our milk from) and run that through the ice cream machine - "as-is"...

Then, I have awesome recipes to share for Cinnamon and Pumpkin/Graham Cracker (custard based ice creams), Pineapple Malibu, Peach Almond Champagne and Cherry Merlot sorbets with Splenda (almost guilt free) and finally, a hazelnut gelatto you'll melt over...