Thursday, September 11, 2008

We shall never forget

Seven years ago today the al-Qaeda terrorists hijacked and crashed commercial jetliners into the twin towers of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

I was pregnant with our twins at the time, and on bedrest. Like most Americans, I watched the life-changing events unfold on TV and watched and watched and watched, becoming increasingly agitated as the details came out. I will never, as long as I live, forget the footage of people jumping out windows of hundred story buildings. What must they have seen to cause them to choose death that way?

When I flipped on my laptop this morning I quickly realized what day it was. My first conference call was with a woman in Arlington, Virginia. I thought to mention it to her but did not since it was our first meeting, and I'm sure she was confronted with reminders all over Washington today. I wonder if she thought about it, too, while we were on the phone. After that call I met my brother for coffee. He mentioned it.

In a few hours I'll pick the pinks up at school. And my husband and I will give them extra big hugs.

We shall never forget.

4 comments:

Amy S. said...

I walked out the door and saw my neighbors flag and got teary..... I immediately put ours out as well. I have been aware all week... and my kids asked about it in the car today for the first time. I was so sad to tell them the condensed version. But they too should never forget. I wonder if our parent reflect on Kennedy's death, MLK's death and other historic events with as much sadness and as heavy of a heart. I think I will ask....

Kim said...

Very beautiful, Leslie.

Anonymous said...

it is a day I will NEVER forget since it hit so close to home & our family... my story is on my blog:/ hope you have a good weekend!

Polka Dot Moon said...

Hard to believe that this horrific day was 7 years ago.
We were both pregnant and on bed rest at the time. So many emotions that day and a fear for my unborn little boy. What kind of world was I bringing him into?!
Today is a day we will never forget.