Saturday, February 27, 2010

I am buzzing.

The Pinks and I completed our Girls Leaderships Institute workshops this week.

In retrospect, it was mind blowing how much we learned. I hadn't realized this until the last session when our children used the new skills to solve their real challenges. In the first session even admitting that they had challenges was a big deal so this tells you how far they had come.

Many of the skills are applicable in multiple scenarios:
  • I used one technique at work today.
  • Another gal remarked that the communication technique would be valuable in dealing with her own mother, several states away.
I also realized that a situation I'd been trying to ignore needed addressing and that it was not too late to do so. Last summer one of The Pinks was bullied in summer camp and I'd avoided confronting her mother about it, even though her mother and I have been close friends for more than 30 years. I now know I have to do it because I have nothing to lose and I have the skills to do so confidently.

At the close of the younger session, the second and third graders surprised our facilitator with a t-shirt they created and signed that said, "We love you, Julia!" Julia was visibly touched and told them that she'd be wearing it a lot. And I didn't even come up with this idea!

You know how you have those days when you question your ability to parent, when you wonder what the hell you got yourself into by bearing these little people? Bringing this program to our community was one of those things that I am patting myself on the back for. I done good!

1 comment:

gbeaton said...

Please add us to your list of future GLI workshop participants. Good job bringing this to the community.

- Ginger

Gbeaton@sbcglobal.net
Mom to two 8 year old girls in San Ramon