Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I can see clearly now.

Actually, it's Dave that can.

He got Lasik today! He's wanted to do this for several years and finally his vision had been stable long enough to do so. The doctor he picked has done these for 20 years and claims to have done more than 65,000 pairs of eyes. Dave put it this way: I'm not as much interested in the number of times he's done the procedure, I'm more interested in him having seen all the problems it could possibly cause and knowing how to fix them.

The procedure room has floor-to-ceiling glass facing the waiting room. I didn't watch, though. Just the thought of it made me queasy.

Dave joked that he needed a personal assistant to manage the recovery. He wasn't kidding! Two different kinds of drops for five days at different intervals, another set of drops once an hour when he's awake for six weeks. Goggles so he doesn't scratch his eyes nor get any dust in them -- different ones for indoor and outdoor, no swimming or hot tubs for a week, and no contact sports for six months.

It's been fun tending to him today. In all our years together I've nearly always been the patient: two challenging pregnancies, a spur-of-the-moment Achilles tendon surgical repair and the removal of my appendix and gallbladder. I'm glad to be able to give back, at least a little!

1 comment:

Ron Hutzul said...

You're both appendix and gallbladder free? Who knew?

Glad to hear it went well and that you're taking good care of Dave!!