Sunday, November 18, 2012

Foolproof

That's the title of Ina Garten's new cookbook. In general I find her recipes foolproof. Does all that butter and cream make them foolproof or is the combination of ingredients and technique that does it?Regardless, I go back to them time and time again.

Neeracha, Jill and I stood in line, a long line, to have her sign Foolproof at Williams Sonoma at Stanford. Three hours in that line. Punctuated by interesting conversation with the women behind us and grilled cheese sandwiches from MELT. Good sandwiches, incidentally. Try MELT.

Ina was there long enough to sign 1,000 books. A big poster at the entrance to the store spelled out the rules: No personalization. You can have your picture shot with Ina but she will not pose. After all, she had all those books to get through before heading to her next gig.

At least it was a sunny day, the kind of day people move to California for. Apparently it was cold and foggy the day Thomas Keller was there. I was smart enough to pre-order three books and so it was worth the wait.

Although the day was really about Ina, Neeracha brought me a personalized, signed copy of Charles Phan's new cookbook. Tory and I are on a Vietnamese kick right now so I'm looking forward to digging into this one too.

1 comment:

oreliamae said...

OMG, I love Ina!! So exciting that you met her. Very jealous over here!