Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Thinker's Cafe

I'm thinking about how easy it was to drive into the city today, much easier than I'd envisioned. It's easily been 15 years since I'd participated in the casual carpool. The casual carpool is a Bay Area institution, one that's existed for at least 30 years. People queue up in specific East Bay locations and other people pull up in their cars, two riders hop in, and they drive into the city taking advantage of the carpool lane. There is a generally accepted drop off area downtown and the riders exit. Thank you's are said and everyone goes in their separate direction. Yes, I had two total strangers in my car today. No, it didn't cause me any angst at all. Only in the land of the fruits and the nuts.

I'm thinking about why I picked this dank Potrero Hill cafe to meet my childhood friend, Wendy. It's grittier than I'd thought it would be and offers few breakfast options, which is only a problem since I'm gluten-free.

I'm thinking about having lunch with my friend who is in San Francisco on a year's work assignment. I'm wondering if the restaurant I have picked is as good as it was when we celebrated Leeann's 40th birthday there.

I'm thinking about how chaotic the city will be tomorrow when the World Series starts. And I'm thinking about how beautiful the drive was this morning and how lucky I am to live close to San Francisco, a city that takes my breath away every time I see it even though I've lived here 25 years.

No comments: