Sunday, October 7, 2012

Day 7

I've not cheated at all. Then again you can't cheat when you're adopting a lifestyle and not dieting. Living gluten-free is a lifestyle, a choice at least for me who has not been diagnosed with celiac disease.

Some things I've noticed:

I grocery shop more than I used to. This is a big deal since my husband does the shopping and does it dang well. But now I shop because I want particular things and because I'm so new to this that I need to take my time and read labels.

At the grocery store I spend much more time on the perimeter than I do in the aisles. Meat. Fruits and veggies. Eggs. About the only thing I got from the beautifully merchandised Halloween decorated aisles today was walnuts and bottled sparking water. Although our local grocery has plenty of gluten-free products (and I carry my Triumph Dining Grocery Guide around with me, which is very helpful), I've stuck with whole foods thus far.

I've lost a few pounds. But not many. My body has reorganized my waistline to differently display the whole foods I'm eating. I have not worked out the last week because boneheaded me fell down the stairs on Day 3 while taking a load of laundry to the wash. That'll teach me to do laundry before the sun rises.

Planning is key. I prep lunch the night before and bring it to work because I don't want to be tempted by Posh Bagel on the ground floor.

I'm in a good mood. Is that the lack of gluten? The busy, interesting work week I had? The perfect fall weather here in Northern California? I'm not sure.

I've developed a serious craving for oven-roasted tomatoes. My parents have been in Africa the last five weeks and I've been harvesting tomatoes from their garden. I slice the tomatoes in half, sprinkle them with Kosher salt and drown them in olive oil from Tom & Esty's weekend home. I cook half until they look just like this picture then cook the other half until they're crispy and chip-like. The crunchy sweetness is addicting.

For those of you who live a gluten-free lifestyle, do you remember your transition?

2 comments:

Kara said...

Hey

I'm 18 and I transitioned the summer between grade 7&8 when we finally figured out why I was sick...... the transition was hard but worth it. I remember eating a lot of popcorn and fruits and veg, plain meat and potatoes until we could find other things I could eat. Shopping was hard, but most of that fell on my mom, going out with friends was harder, relearning how to go to a restaurant took a lot of time and more than a couple errors. That fall going back to school was very difficult as I tried to figure out what to take for lunch now that sandwiches were out of the picture and I was attending a school where heating up lunch was not really an option. Its hard but you adjust.

Anonymous said...

Follow nutritionist JJ Virgin. She will help you go gluten free. Also read Wheat Belly - our wheat has been so genetically modified that our bodies do not assimilate the proteins effectively. Short interesting read on your gluten free journey!