Thursday, December 29, 2011

No one deserves this.

Never in my life did I expect to publish the contact information for the National Domestic Violence Hotline. But here it is: (800) 799-SAFE. If you need this, or think you need this, call. And call a friend, too. Call me.

You never know what goes on behind closed doors. We've all been shocked when a friend announces that their marriage is over. There are a lot of things people keep to themselves. A close friend went through years of fertility treatments and didn't discuss it beyond her immediate family until she had three kids. I wish I'd known.

My father and Thing 2 spent yesterday with the horses. And when he dropped her off he mentioned that a mutual friend had just fled her home because of domestic violence. I was quite upset by this. Not entirely surprised but disturbed nonetheless because she didn't deserve this. Domestic violence is not limited to those less fortunate or uneducated. This friend is part of the one percent.

Later in the day I read Penelope Trunk's blog and she was parked in a hotel room because her husband beat her again. I fretted over this, too.

Fast forward to 6am today when I see Paige's text that she read Penelope Trunk, too.

And so I blog.

No comments: