Saturday, December 31, 2011

Loving those latkes!

I'd never made everyone's favorite Chanukah food before, potato pancakes. The smell of fried food makes me queasy. Heck, I don't even like going inside a McDonald's.

But something inspired me to try this year and so I borrowed a friend's electric fry pan, bought 10 lbs of potatoes and went to town.

I have a new respect for people who make these. They are a ton of work. Dirty work. We don't have a food processor so Dave lovingly (okay, I bribed him) shredded all those potatoes. Then I found an old Gourmet recipe online and added salt, pepper, eggs, lemon juice, onion and flour.

The thing is: for every six I made, I ate one. So making tripling the recipe took 4 hours from start to finish. I set up the fry pan in the back yard and when all was said and done, I completed the task in the dark, with a flashlight. The thermometer read 36F. I am the Frozen Chosen.

Dang they were good.

We had some friends over for the last night of Chanukah and polished them off. With sour cream and applesauce of course.

2 comments:

Postcards From The Hedge said...

you are welcome to borrow my food processor (I deliver) but they really are better when grated by hand. The processor makes little tubes of the potatoes. And I love the Frozen Chosen.

Ron Hutzul said...

Should you ever try them again, (I - and many others to whom I have introduced them), prefer the zucchini and parmesan ones...much lighter and tastier!