Monday, December 12, 2011

I'm sorry for your loss.

In the last month five of my friends have lost an immediate family member. I am pained by each of these deaths, and for the friends coping day-to-day.

Of them, two died of old age, two died from tumors and the third lost his life to the Big C. People always want to know how someone died. They also want to know why couples divorce. I tell you this so you won't wonder how to nicely ask me.

This is rather a sick thought but I've wondered how I would console my own children if something happened to Dave. I would be so distraught myself but still I would need to be there for the pinks.

Death sucks. It's devastating at any time of the year but more so during this time of year when the days and nights are filled with eat, drink and be merry.

I am fortunate that my parents and mother-in-law are still in good health and local. I try hard to appreciate them although we always think we can do better, see more of them, do more for them. Just hours ago I irritated my mother by telling her that we will not be celebrating Hanukah with them at their home on Dec 27 as we will have done so three nights the previous week up at Tahoe. Bad daughter.

Many years ago I read Tuesdays with Morrie. My takeaway was that death is the end of a life, not of a relationship. That has brought me comfort over the years.

I am also comforted knowing that there are more angels among us.

No comments: