Sunday, May 22, 2011

I'm jazzed!

I'm a consultant: I make my living taking care of whatever keeps my clients awake at night professionally. And I've been doing this for 12 years now. Consulting is all about giving. Whatever is best for the client is what I provide.

Last week I did something amazing: I attended a conference where it was all about what I do. My former client Steve Gershik orchestrated DemandCon and I am grateful. So grateful. It was the best thing I have done for myself professionally in a very long time.

I've worked dozens of conferences and until last week had never been the target audience. It was amazing -- the speakers talked about things that are important to my clients and to my own business. I learned new ways to provide the services I've become known for. I met people who do the same thing I do, both in-house and on a consulting basis.

Jill Konrath was hilarious as she told us how to sell to busy people. Thom Singer did his song and dance on networking skills. I left before he got to his trademark Kate story; it makes me cry every time. Rick Altman told us why most of our presentations suck and gave us pointers on fixing them. I learned new uses for LinkedIn. Ardath Albee talked about storytelling in business. Steve Bernstein covered customer loyalty. Jon Miller gave us his view of marketing automation. Greg Ott at Demandbase showed us how his company can serve up custom content to the visitors to your web site by knowing who they are in advance. Brilliant stuff!

I am so psyched to give these things more thought and put some of them to work for my clients!

Steve -- you are the man. Thank you.

1 comment:

Steve Gershik said...

Thanks, Leslie! Your comments made all the effort worthwhile. Now we have to find everyone else who thinks like us and wants to think like us and bring them together for the next one!