Saturday, December 4, 2010

Where have all the pony tail holders gone?!

Surely I am not the only person who wonders if they have joined the other sock in the Land of Missing Socks.

In my 12 years of parenting a daughter, and in my nine years of parenting three daughters, I have bought hundreds of pony tail holders and hair bands. Where do they go and why aren't they in my vanity, where they all start?!

Seriously.

Tonight I offered the children each a nickel for each one they could find. Four turned up. They're not in their backpacks. Or jacket pockets. Or under the family room sofa or between the cushions. Or bedrooms. Or bathrooms. They're not in my car. Or in the junk drawer in the kitchen.

One of you must know where they go. Don't take this secret to the grave, okay?

5 comments:

krista said...

Garbage...friends hair....not sure but with three pinks you have three times the chance of loss. I have a full pack in my suitcase , my medicine cabinet, and in each purse...my closet. In my life they are everywhere but that is because I do not have the love of three pink loss! Embrace it ! The loss of such a minor thing. You still have your Mother! Enjoy

krista said...

I mean all of that in the most embracing loving way

Amy said...

I buy them all the time and have the same experience. They just disappear. I do have a stash in my purse and the swim bag - but over the years, I have purchased hundreds. Literally. I am sure we have lost them at parks, pools, fields, and friends. It is the gift we apparently leave behind. Clips too, and those little comb claws that I do not know what they are called. Just bought Kayla a pack - Jenna took most of them and now we can't find them anywhere.... hmmm.

Aud said...

I don't have daughters, but I do have long hair. I have always had the same problem. I don't use them so much for hair styles, but to get my hair out of the way (biking, gym, kitchen) but at some later point I realize, "Ow, my head hurts." I take it off, and then who knows what happens.

Cheers,
Audrey

Postcards From The Hedge said...

I don't know about the pony tail holders but I do know about the missing socks: my sister says socks are the larval form of wire coat hangers. Think about it - the coat hangers multiply, the socks vanish.

So maybe at your house the pony tail holders are turning into something? empty juice boxes? Homework?