Thursday, December 2, 2010

House Projects?!

Someone emailed me a punch list and timeline of things to do in preparation for Eldest Daughter's Bat Mitzvah. I modified it for my own use and it's now 350 lines long in Excel. Every day I do a few tasks and hope they all get done before Feb 5. A heartfelt thanks to each of you who has offered to help.

On that provided list was "Finish house projects". I would never have added this on my own but it did get me thinking.

Here's what I came up with:

1. Triptych quilt for stairwell.
2. Finish living room decor by buying the one accent table that the room lacks.
3. Touch up exterior garage paint.
4. Purge stuff.
5. Plant flowers two days before fanfare begins.

I finished the quilts and Bill, the handyman / fudgemaker extraordinaire, hung them. It took him three hours and three configurations of his special ladder to put them up. The last configuration involved propping one leg on the upper landing and the other on a small, curved stair. It had me really freaked out and I'm glad I didn't see him up there and also that he didn't fall.

This picture doesn't show the quilts in their full glory; the construction of the upstairs landing doesn't enable me to shoot a picture that shows how perfectly the tops align and that each quilt is a foot shorter than the one to its left. Bill also touched up the paint on the garage, which was more involved than it seemed because it included matching the paint, which is now eight-years-faded.

The accent table presented itself at Loot.

The purging has started. Dave and I are not pack rats but still, one needs to go through the junk drawer every now and then. I gutted the pantry, scrubbed it down, reorganized its contents, threw some food out and set aside other food for donation. If you need brown or super fine sugar, we've got plenty. We also have nine bags of nuts and I'm not talking about the individual portion size.

What else?

1 comment:

Polka Dot Moon said...

The quilts are gorgeous! You do such lovely work!

I know this will be a fabulous event for Paris. Can't wait to here more details :)