Monday, December 13, 2010

Driving the Sofa

On the night before Thanksgiving I was rear-ended in the Whole Foods parking lot.

The driver, a sixty-something woman, was distraught. The first thing she said to me after getting out of her car was, "This is the third accident I've had in 12 months. They're going to take away my driver's license."

At that point I was relieved: at least she didn't kill anyone before this happened.

As we exchanged insurance information she told me that she was a brain cancer survivor and that she hadn't been the same since her illness.

So while my Volvo was left with a hanging bumper, at least she had insurance and was nice about it. She thanked me profusely for being nice about the situation. What good would it have done to be upset about it?

My patience is now starting to wear thin, though.

It took her a week to call her insurance company. Meanwhile, I wanted my car fixed. In fact, I drove it to the snow two days after the accident, hanging bumper and all. When she finally reported the accident she confused the date and until she corrects it to match my statement, her insurance won't cover my damages even though she has said she was at fault.

My insurance company paid to fix my car and I will eventually get reimbursed for the deductible. But for now I'm out $500 and about 20 hours into hassling with this. For the last week I drove a rental sofa, a Chevy Tahoe. Very ungreen. At least it had seating for eight and was 4WD. Surprise: I drove it as little as possible.

I'm still counting my blessings. But I'm looking forward to this mess being put behind me.

The silver lining: I discovered a great body shop in our town: Symmons Auto Body. What professionals!

No comments: