Friday, October 15, 2010

Redd

Dave and I drove up to Yountville Monday evening and had dinner with Fabio at Redd. The Napa Valley isn't far from here and often, when we have a nice dinner in the city, we ask ourselves why we didn't just go to Napa instead.

Yountville's main drag, Washington Street, has several well regarded restaurants on it: Bouchon, Redd, Ad Hoc, Bistro Jeanty, the French Laundry. My goal is to get to the three I have not yet been to.

Richard Reddington's Redd is a Michelin one star. It's less formal than the other one star's we've been to and the food was very good. The decor is contemporary and minimalist. White walls. Some wood. Lots of glass. An outdoor fireplace.

I had an incredible Burrata and tomato salad followed by gnocchi with lamb Bolognese. Fabio had oysters on the half shell and skate with creamed corn, cherry tomato, haricot vert salad and basil pistou. Dave had fois gras with stonefruit, pistachios, brioche then duck confit, lentils, foie gras meatballs and crispy spaetzle. The duck was especially good. Dessert was dark chocolate pot de creme, beurre noisette and warm beignets. I don't generally do dessert after a fancy meal because I am so stuffed. I need to work on this.

It was nice to talk pop culture, movies and books with Dave and with Fabio, who I've not seen much of since he moved to Napa. And it was also nice when the Giants won and we could stop sneaking peeks at our Smartphones.

1 comment:

Postcards From The Hedge said...

At which three have you not dined?