Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Renata

I had lunch with Renata last week.

I close my eyes and still see her as the Renata of 1980. The Renata who didn't yet speak English. The Renata with husband Mark and adorable 5-year-old Ilona. The family my parents and their Chavurah adopted and helped ease the transition of from life in the former Soviet Union to life in San Francisco. The Renata with the red kitchen because here she could have a red kitchen.

She is older than me but not as old as my mother. She and Mark successfully moved their parents and siblings to San Francisco. She retired from her IT job at Levi Strauss, where she spent her whole American career. Her children are grown now. Sweet little Ilona is married with two children and practices Obstetrics while also teaching at Harvard Med School. The twins she and Mark subsequently had are now in law school and med school. They are stunningly beautiful. The whole family. And smart, of course, too.

It was such fun having lunch with Renata. It is amazing how the years just evaporate. I think we can learn a lot from each other and I am so fortunate that we have been back in touch.

1 comment:

Polka Dot Moon said...

You have the most amazing friends and stories!

I always enjoy reading what you're up to!