Sunday, July 25, 2010

Orson

I spent Friday afternoon in the city, first having lunch at Orson, then meeting up with a visiting high school friend and his family, which is worth a blog of its own.

I'd read a review of Orson on Bay Area Bites earlier in the week and, since it was near my client site, convinced my colleagues to go there for lunch.

The location is a bit challenging -- it's on Fourth Street between Brannan and Bryant Streets. That sounds fine until you try to walk there -- it's requires crossing through a major road construction zone. However, we were determined.

Although Orson is open for lunch and has an Elizabeth Falkner pedigree, it's not a lunch spot: the location is too obscure. We were the only people lunching on Friday, a day that people generally do lunch.

My pizza with goat cheese and bacon was good but forgettable. Colleague 1's corn chowder was too creamy for her taste and lacked enough corn. Colleague 2's fried chicken sandwich was better, is called out in the Bay Area Bits Blog, and is pictured above. Colleague 3's pastrami sandwich strayed a little too far from the standard for his taste. It looked like the pastrami was fried before being being layered between bread slices that were again fried.

At least my house-made lemonade was good! And the desserts were fine, fortunately, as Falkner has long been known as a local Go To Gal for pastries. My recommendation: skip Orson and go to Citizen Cake instead.

2 comments:

RicoLisi0802志竹 said...

哈>v<"" 感謝分享.............................................................

Neeracha T. said...

I am so sad she closed the first Citizen Cake location - it was perfect for pre-show meals. I think the new one will be on Fillmore but not open yet...