Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Date Night (with Paige)

While Neeracha and H are gallivanting around the Dordogne intermittently crying that we're not with them, Paige and I came up to Tahoe for some late Spring skiing.

Monday
The French contingent go to the caves at Lascaux II and look for Michelin-starred restaurants for dinner. It's Monday and none are open so they have a traditional, three-course Perigord meal in Domme for the bargain price of €15.

The Squaw contingent enjoys a windless day of Spring skiing with blue skies, no crowds and temps in the 50s mostly on Shirley Lake and Granite Chief. Paige gets a stellar deal on boots and skis. And then they go to the movies. Did you even know there was a movie theater in Tahoe City?!

The Boston contingent purges closets in Boston. (So sorry, other Leslie!)

Late in the day the French contingent and the Squaw contingent Skype and Team Tahoe is given a tour of the Beynac house. We all laugh over the bizarreness and hilarity of the situation. I find it so strange to have the four of us in one virtual place although I'm not sure why since I spend half my working hours on WebEx video calls.

Date Night, starring Tina Fey and Steve Carell, made us laugh. The actors share an excellent chemistry and play off each other's antics really well from wit to the timing of their physical comedy. I had a big smile on my face when I left the theater because it was one of those movies where I just had a good time watching it. No Eldest Daughter, you will not be seeing this.

Supporting roles go to the shirtless Mark Wahlberg, Taraji P. Henson, Mila Kunis, James Franco, Common, Jimmi Simpson, William Fichtner and Ray Liotta. My favorite part of the movie takes place when Fey's character climbs up a fire escape on Avenue D in heels and she references Rent.

Today, Tuesday, the comedy of errors continues. Paige and I had plans to hit spa at the new Ritz Carlton at Northstar. But no, the hotel is closed for three weeks for conversion from winter to summer. However, it's been snowing all morning and we may yet get out and enjoy some freshies.

I'm still grateful we're not one of the many thousands stranded and sleeping on an airport floor. And Neeracha and H are doing a great job of making us feel like we're there with blog posts and Facebook updates.

3 comments:

Tristan said...

Paige is a hot date! I'm glad you guys are getting out! I so want to see that movie. Thanks for the review! Find another spa and get pampered ok?

Neeracha T. said...

I'm doing my best to eat for the both of you as well - and succeeding for the most part. Can you believe I may well be foie-gras-ed out on Day 4 of my daily foie gras diet?!

HKM said...

Leslie, too funny. The tour of the house by way of Skype was too funny. Too bad, you can't walk up the cobblestone path with us.

Keep having fun... we are plotting our return by way of planes (we hope), trains and automobiles.

Hil