Friday, December 4, 2009

Beating the blues

If you read my last blog post you'll know that I'm reeling from the news that friends of ours split up. It's been a draining week, frankly. I'm working on an exceptionally fun and also time-consuming client project, Dave was out of town one night this week, and Thing 2 was home from school sick one day.

When I'm feeling down I try to do nice things for others. This forces me not to dwell on things I cannot change. Today I took frou frou cupcakes from a specialty bakery to a friend's house. She'd had a long night in the ER with one of her kids. And when I showed up at her doorstep and gave her a hug paired with chocolate, she got all teary.

I also undertook another project this week: we adopted a less fortunate family for the holidays. Our extended family did this for many years and it was fun to imagine the joy these material things we take for granted (clothes, toys, pantry items and cleaning supplies) would bring them at Christmas. It's funny if you think about it: a big Jewish family putting together someone else's Christmas.

"We" this year is actually Thing 2's Second Grade Class. Our family has 15 people in it and I am in awe of how generously and enthusiastically people are donating. I was concerned about asking people to take on one more thing during the holidays, and during a year when so many in our own zip code are out of work. Yet the families jumped aboard this idea without pause. I think we all know that no matter how bad things are in our affluent suburb, they are worse elsewhere.

I am honored to be a part of this community.

No comments: