Saturday, November 7, 2009

Magnolia vs Crumbs

I've just returned from a trip to DC and NYC. Some work, some play.

During the day and a half I spent in New York, I managed to sample cupcakes from three different venues.

Dean & Deluca, which I stumbled upon while looking for Zara, did a fairly good Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting. Ina Garten does divine cream cheese frosting on coconut cupcakes and this was pretty close. I wasn't planning on having a snack there but I was hungry after walking through Soho, Tribeca and Little Italy and the cupcake looked better than anything else in the pastry case so I indulged. I was pretty excited to have found Dean & Deluca's original location as I'm a fan of the St. Helena outpost and have sent many a wedding gift from there.

The Magnolia Bakery, in the West Village, has been credited with starting the 1990s cupcake craze. You may have seen it in Sex and The City and The Devil Wears Prada. Frankly, I was underwhelmed. They make vanilla and chocolate cupcakes with vanilla and chocolate frosting. That pretty pink frosting you see above tastes the same as the white one: vanilla. And that's just not right. I ate a chocolate on chocolate one and it was like eating Betty Crocker frosting right out of the can.

Crumbs, which has several NYC outposts, does more than 50 daily varieties. They are large cupcakes. I'm a fan. I even managed to bring some home for Dave and the kids: Apple Cobbler, Caramel Apple, White Hot Chocolate, Oreo, Blackout and Yankees. Fortunately or unfortunately, they have a shop in California quite near my sister-in-law's house in Calabasas.

3 comments:

Amy S. said...

Are they better than Sprinkles - they are way too sweet!

Neeracha T. said...

I really like Buttercup on the east side, a few blocks down from Dylan's. Their red velvet is excellent. Crumbs is too big for me.

Michelle said...

Phil and the girls brought me home 8 Crumbs cupcakes for my birthday...my favorite is the Hostess Cupcake!