Monday, October 19, 2009

Ooops I did it again.

I'm a glutton for punishment. If you've been reading my blog for a while you know that I work myself up into a complete frenzy over class auction projects. The only creative thing I do well is quilt so that's my weapon of choice.

No one volunteered to do Thing 2's class auction project this year so of course I took it on. If you translated the number of mental hours I've already put into it into my consulting bill rate you'd be as sick as my husband is.

I'm doing a Halloween-themed quilt with the children's hand prints. It's going to be cute, not as elaborate as last year's masterpiece but sweet none-the-less. I love Halloween and hope everyone else does, too.

Our house has a tall, curved stairwell and it's been bare since we moved into this house seven years ago. I've long wanted to hang a quilt there in four parts so it fills the space. But it will easily take me a year to create it so I want to be sure it's something I love and that the kids will love to inherit. So on my continued quest for the perfect design, my mom and I hauled The Pinks to the Pacific International Quilt Show in Santa Clara this weekend. It's the biggest quilt show I've ever been to, and I've been to quite a few. It also had the best quilts I've ever seen. Fabric art, really. Quilts that were essentially paintings made of fabric. The gallery was from artisans worldwide and the range of techniques was just mindblowing. It was truly inspirational and I shot enough pictures to keep me quilting for the next decade.

There were vendors there selling every kind of sewing and quilting item imaginable. I bought a few yards of fabric and let The Pinks pick out some fat quarters of batik flannel. (A fat quarter is a quarter yard cut in a square instead of a long rectangle.) Since we've been home they've been hacking at them and pinning. I can't wait to see what the end result is!

1 comment:

Paige said...

Why don't you just give me the quilt and we can skip the middle man?