Monday, July 20, 2009

I'm just fine. Really.

My cell rang at 7:45a Saturday morning.

Caryl: Where are you?

Me: Hi Caryl. It's nice to talk to you, too.

Caryl: Seriously, where are you?

Me: I'm in the guest room bed at my cousin's house in San Diego. Is there any particular reason we need to have this conversation at 7:45a on a Saturday morning?

Caryl: Because I'm on Facebook chatting with you. And you're asking me to wire you money because you've just been mugged in the London and need to get back to the states.

Me: Crap. I've been hacked.

Caryl: I was pretty sure it wasn't you, though, as you have perfect diction and the IMs I'm getting are horribly written.

Me: Thanks sweetie! Gotta go deal now. I'll call you back.

Welcome to my Saturday morning.

I changed my status to alert people to the security breach and within a few hours, the security team at Facebook deactivated my account to prevent further damage. I was quite impressed with their handling of the situation. After an extended exercise in Internet safety and verification I was back online. And just a little bit wiser.

2 comments:

Polka Dot Moon said...

Isn't that a bit frightening!! Freaks me out sometimes that I've actually posted pictures!!

Neeracha T. said...

Wow - how did I miss all this drama?! My funny story right now is that I leave Skype up while I'm working here in Bangkok, and I keep getting random Skype calls and chat requests from people I don't know. There's one person in Morocco that seems quite persistent. And there's no personal info my profile at all. Weird.