Monday, March 16, 2009

Milking It

I moved to San Francisco in 1990, twelve years after Harvey Milk's murder. I never gave much thought to battles the gay community fought to establish their right to just co-exist with heterosexuals. I simply enjoyed the gay friends I made at my job in publishing, the sexual diversity of the city and its celebrations like the Gay Freedom Day Parade.

This weekend I watched Milk. Sean Penn, for all his arrogance, is just brilliant. He's one of the most gifted actors of our generation and he truly deserved his Oscar for Best Actor this year. James Franco is worth a shout out as Milk's long-time lover Scott Smith and Lucas Grabeel, well, let's just say that I personally think his talents are better spent dancing and singing.

There are quite a few readers of this blog outside of the Bay Area so here's the recap: Harvey Milk was a neighborhood activist elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977 and murdered, along with the city’s mayor, by a former supervisor named Dan White the next year. Milk, among the first openly gay elected officials in the country, had a profound impact on national politics, and his rich afterlife in American culture has affirmed his status as pioneer and martyr.

This is not a feel good movie. It left me with an uneasy feeling. The director did a good job of using both old footage and new filming to tell the story. As sad as the story is, it's a part of San Francisco history, our gay rights history, and one that I truly enjoyed.

4 comments:

Kathy B! said...

I haven't seen that, but now I'm curious...

Polka Dot Moon said...

This is on my list of movies to see..........when it comes out on DVD! I haven't been to an adult movie in years!!!!

Squirt's mom said...

I feel the same way about the movie, I liked it but it left me with a funny feeling. We bought a copy. I figured it might be the only oscar-nominated movie that Delanie has the opportunity to be a part of. We let her see her part (fast forwarded to it) but maybe someday she will want to see the whole thing!

Ron Hutzul said...

I totally want to see this movie - but with how busy things have been, we'll be waiting for a break to grab the video...