Saturday, December 20, 2008

Middlesex

In general, I read to escape. I do the same thing with movies: check out and visit someplace else for a moment in time. My pattern seems to be one business book, one recommended novel and one trashy novel or parenting book. Rinse and repeat.

Every now and then I read a book that just blows my mind. I felt this way about The Poisonwood Bible. I read the entire thing on a 9 hour flight from Tokyo to San Francisco when I should have been sleeping. Likewise I could not stop reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, the second book by Khaled Hosseini, the author of The Kite Runner. It was a horrifying story and absolutely gripping.

I am reading such a book right now. Middlesex won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2003 for good reason.

It's a complicated tale of a young girl who grows into a man. It begins generations before the main character's birth, in a small Greek village, when his grandparents succumb to incestuous desires. Told with both humor and earnestness, the story grows more engaging with every page. There is just something magical about the way the words are strung together. It's an artistic telling of a captivating story. I am eager to finish it.

2 comments:

Squirt's mom said...

You are right on about all those books. I read Middlesex when it first came out in hardcover. I loved it! -Shanta

Paige said...

I felt the same way about this book, and Poisonwood Bible, definitely my favorite book of all time except for East of Eden. After I finished Middlesex I could not read another book for a few weeks because I needed to finish savoring that one!