Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Working or Working Out?

My friend Coleen, who is a senior human resources professional, sent me a link to this fascinating product today.

I thought it was a joke. But it isn't.

"The Walkstation is the fully integrated combination of an electric height-adjustable worksurface with an exclusively engineered, low speed commercial grade treadmill. It's designed to bring healthy habits to sedentary workers while they are actually working."

Oy! And I don't even need my Jewish Grandmother to weigh in on this one!

Okay. I work. As hard as the next guy. Maybe even harder. And I work from home a lot. But I do not work while I'm on the treadmill. Oh yes I've wanted to sometimes. Like many of you, I find myself on the occasional conference call where I'm a non-active participant (aka a listener) and I could just put my headset on and log a few miles. But I don't even though it has crossed my mind more than once. (BTW, if you want to confess that you do this, I won't tell!)

There is something really wrong with a setup that encourages it. It attempts to further blur the line between work and personal time, something that many of us struggle with already.

For those of you who want to know more, here's the link to the full product specs.

Thanks, Coleen, for opening my eyes to another workforce innovation!

2 comments:

newsofthedrews said...

I'll 'fess up: in our former house, my treadmill was next to my desk. Many times I listened in to a conf call, headset on mute, walking away. Heaven forbid I get asked a question: fumbling between the mute button and the speed toggle wasn't always smooth. :)

Kim

mishel said...

OK, this is something I would totally use. I find myself walking up and down our stairs during those long, boring conference calls to get some exercise.